Tuesday, October 13, 2009

PURSE STRINGS SAGA


So, I am trying to save $$ and tighten my purse strings, and am super intrigued by the entire idea of spending a fraction of retail on groceries...but am still trying to figure out how it's done.  Like when people brag that they spent $4.83 at the store and saved $287.35.   HOW????????????  If you know, let me in on the secret.  For now, I will share what sales & deals I come across and hope some of you might do the same.  My focus: I want to be able to save on things I actually use and buy regularly.  On REAL food.  Let us commence with THE PURSE STRINGS SAGA (maybe I'll make this into an entirely different blog so those who aren't interested in my deal-making skills won't be bored to tears....we'll see....for now...on with the show).

PURSE STRINGS SAGA, Week 1:

Week 1, couponing experiment 1: Albertsons HUGE sale: (sorry, it's over now)...got Whole Wheat Ronzoni Healthy Harvest pasta for $.20 a box, 2 free packages Keebler Chips Deluxe cookies, and 2 packages of them for $.69 each.  Pretty good, huh?  I got a few other things too...cereal, yogurts, toothpaste. Spent: $59, savings: $143. Not bad. :)

Week 1, experiment 2:  I need Peanut Butter.  I tested this couponing thing out on this one item I actually needed, and here is the story: Walgreens advertised Skippy for 3 for $5...I use the Skippy Natural so I headed that direction. Negative on the Natural. Not included on the sale. :(  Waste of a drive.  Next stop: Target.  They didn't have it on sale, but their regular price was $2.04 which is cheaper than most.  I printed a Target Online Coupon @ home (just incase the Walgreens thing didn't pan out...good thing I thought ahead) for $1 off.  At the checkout, I also asked the cashier if they take Catalina coupons from other stores (the coupons that print @ Albies & Freddy's at the checkout with your receipt) and they DO!! (as long as it says Manufacturer coupon @ the top).  Sweet! I had a Freddy's Catalina for $1 off of 2 PBs.  Regular price: $2.04, with the $1 off Target coupon and the Catalina, I paid $2.08 for two!!! :) Yay.

After the Target Peanut Butter experience, I realize that I can save on lots of things I use all the time, I just have to be really good about making lists, spending the time @ the computer to find the coupons, and watching for sales.  Let me know what crazy deals you stumble upon, and we'll save together!  I also added to my blog a list of blogs I follow; many of them are great "Deal Finding" type couponing-crazy-lady blogs, so check those too.

Good luck!

3 comments:

Helen said...

Glad you are finding deals...I am still a skeptic. (Mostly it sounds overwhelming) Maybe you will change my mind;)

Angie said...

It's fun, huh? Mostly I'm just lazy, but every once in a while, I go hog wild and come home with some of those spent a fraction and saved a megaton deals. If only I didn't have to sleep...:)

Frozenchozen said...

I LOVE this new dimension to your blog!!! I too am always impressed by the savings stated by coupon shoppers but I always wonder if their shopping/cooking/eating is dictated by what they find on sale rather than finding deals on the things that they would regularly use. Your peanut butter shopping is a great example!!! Thanks!!