Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lego my legos

I think I can safely say that my favorite toy in the whole world is, and always has been LEGOS.  I love that my kids love them so much because it gives me a reasonable excuse to play with them at any time of the day without judgement.  I love all the detail the little pieces have.  One of my favorite pieces ever is:
this beard.
I LOVE it.  I wish I could get my camera to focus in a little closer.  This beard is amazing.  It has so much detail and is so cute.  I love how it makes this lego guy look like he should be a member of ZZ Top.

Unfortunately for my kids, I only love BUILDING with Legos. I do try to entertain their want to "play" legos every once in a while, but it isn't the same.  Does that make sense?

Here is what I love to build most:
houses.

And when I build one I like, I won't let it be torn down.  Isn't that terrible?  I'll go a good 6 months or so of keeping it high up in the window sill before I'll turn it over to the boys for demolition.  This one I built a few months ago.  I'll let them play with it sometimes, but only if they promise not to break it or alter it.  Don't judge me.

Here are a few other views of this modern masterpiece:

Here are a few condos I built a while back.  I was quite proud that I found that many coordinating doors & windows to make it work.

I got a really cool castle set of legos when I was a tween back in the early 90's.  I was super anal about this set down to making sure that every knight had the right helmet and shield and that every single brick of that castle was accounted for (I'm such a nerd).  I made sure that every piece (plus the original instructions) was kept in a seperate large Ziploc bag as to not get mixed up with the other legos I had.  I saved them for a good 15 years and just a few years ago finally passed them on to my boys.  I was so excited at the prospect of them enjoying them as much as I had.  That castle set lasted about a week.  Pieces have been lost and broken.  And even though it makes me a tinsie bit sad, I would probably be more sad if they were out in the garage sitting safely on a shelf where no child was enjoying them.  Right?  Right??

Of course. I LOVE watching my kids play with them.  They are so amazingly creative.  Here are some of their recent creations:

Aren't they great?  And I look forward to adding to our lego collection so the kids (eh-hem...I) will have many more lego adventures to come. ;)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You absolutely positively crack me up. : ) I must say your building skills are quite in impressive.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

LOL! You are awesome.

Half a Dozen Buts said...

Well, now I know what to get the "kids" for Christmas! :) Love ya!! XOXOX

Cathy said...

Yes. The "kids" would love that. Perfect.