Thursday, September 9, 2010

Twilight Zone

I had a really weird dream last night. It was so vivid, and even when I woke up, I remembered so many details.  That's very unusual for me.   Do you want to hear about it?  Great! Well, step into my subconscious for a few moments with me....

doodleydoo...doodleydoo...doodleydoo...

Here are the details of my dream that I remember:

1. In my dream, I am getting married. Again. To Brian, of course. And we had been together the whole time so I'm guessing it was some sort of vow renewal.

2.  My wedding dress is BAGGY on me.  It was apparently the same dress I wore 10 years ago (even though looking back on the dream it didn't look familiar...it had lots of beads & sequins and had long sleeves...my real dress had NONE of those things) and it was baggy.  I was very excited about this because I was quite a bit thinner when I got married than I am now. I'm hoping that this particular detail is some kind of omen. :)

3.  I remember doing my makeup and curling my hair.  I never curl my hair.  And my hair was much longer.  I was very unhappy with the hair-do.  It was very matty and crunchy from all the hairspray I used and most of it quickly lost the curl that it had.  Helen (yep - I remember that my SIL Helen was there...sorry everyone else, there were lots of other blurry faces. I'm sure you were all there to support my re-nuptuals) offered her straightening iron to me to use to flatten the mess.  I used it and it was much better.  Except that while I was straightening, a very large section of my hair all of a sudden came out.  Not from the top of my head, but from lower down by my neck.  And not like I had burned it out with the iron, but that it had mysteriously fallen out.  It was an oddly perfect straight section of hair.  Everyone there assured me it wasn't very noticeable and said they could fix it with some blush. (???)  This particular detail of my hair falling out I'm hoping is NOT an omen.

4.  After the hair was fixed I tried putting on my white veil, but it kept falling forward almost to my forehead.  For some reason, my hair was not supporting the comb that held the veil on.  I tried going on with it as-is, but I was told I looked ridiculous.

5. All of this is taking forever in my dream.  Kind of like when you dream you are running and can only go slo-mo.  It took what must have been hours to straighten my hair and put my veil on.  I remember that everyone was getting nervous that I got cold feet since I was taking so long (even though I'm already married to the guy). I hurried.

6.  I finally get my veil on and throw on my shoes.  I head down the hall to the ceremony (at which point I notice that my re-wedding is a civil ceremony, and not a temple wedding, which bothered me in my dream) and just as I come into view of the guests seated in rows up in front of me, I notice that the veil I put on was tan and that the shoes I was wearing were my dirty orange Keen flip flops and were on the wrong feet.  I was very embarrassed, but since everyone had seen me, it was too late to change.

7.  As I am reeling from this embarrassment, I look to see my mom there ready to walk me down the aisle.  Confusion.  I realize my dad isn't there to fulfill this customary role and it bothers me.  It takes me a few minutes to remember WHY he isn't there, and it bothers me more. Just then, I look down the aisle to see Brian waiting for me and I calm down instantly.

8. I wake up.

I went running this morning, and it's all I could think about.  What a silly dream. I hardly ever remember any details about dreams I have, let alone the entire thing.  Usually the only dreams I remember are recurring ones that I've had since I was a kid.  The typical can't find my locker, can't remember my class schedule, forgot to go to school for the whole year kind of dreams.  I hate those.  It was kind of nice to have something different for a change.  Even if it was freakadoo. :)

I hope you enjoyed your little trip into my subconscious.  Sweet dreams, everyone.

4 comments:

Helen said...

That is WAY weird! Crazy how vivid dreams are sometimes, and how they stick in our memories.

I do not own a straightening iron, for the record. :) I am however flattered that you remembered my in your dream.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

hmmmmmmmm......I don't know why I'm trying to figure out what your dream means.....never mind. ;)

Jana said...

So, here's my take on your dream: I think it's a beautiful love letter to your husband. After all of the craziness/problems with the 'vow renewal' details, you were able to calm down instantly when you saw Brian, because THAT detail was right. If you apply that to life in general, things will always go wrong or be sad or hard, but as long as you and Brian handle things together, you can have that calmness that he provides.

Pretty deep, right? I know, I try :).

Cathy said...

Wow, Jana. You should have your own tv show! Thanks for the reading. :)