Wednesday, November 4, 2009

uPSIDE dOWN and HEAVY hearted


    I miss my dad.
    I woke up on October 20th to find my life had turned upside down.  My wonderful dad, Max Rich, passed away from a heart attack the night before.  I am so full of mixed emotions about it;  sorrow, anger, guilt, regret, confusion, and disbelief.  The morning of the 20th replays in my head over and over like a broken record.  I seriously thought it was a really bad nightmare.  Even as I was packing our things to drive to Boise, I felt like I was in a really strange, bad nightmare and that I must be sleepwalking.  Even now, 2 weeks later, it doesn't feel real.  I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that he is no longer around.  It just doesn't make sense.
    Although I am having all of these feelings, I do believe that my dad has moved on and has important work to do.  I would have loved to see his face as he reunited with his mom & dad.  I believe that it was his time to go, even though I don't necessarily agree with it.  I believe that Heavenly Father needs him to do a great work on the other side, and that makes me want to work hard and be more purposeful here on earth so I can be with him again.  I think that my dad never realized how many lives he touched, he wasn't the most confident fellow.  I enjoyed being able to give his life sketch at the funeral, even though it was incredibly difficult.  I loved being able to remind people about why they loved him.  He was so awesome!!!  What a cool guy. I really miss him.
     As I find myself in this new discombobulated state, I have to try to accept my new reality.  It is a very strange place to find yourself.  I am so thankful for a husband who is so empathetic and compassionate.  He unfortunately understands what this feels like, and I feel badly that I wasn't more understanding towards him before. I had no idea the depth of emotions that follow such a life changing experience.  I am thankful for my sweet mom.  She is so sad.  I know that she has a testimony of Heavenly Father's plan of salvation, as do I, which gives her strength, but I know that sometimes, it's hard to rely on faith alone.  She was able to enjoy nearly 35 years of marriage to her funny sweetheart.  I worry about her and I am so sad about not living near her right now, but I know that she is well watched over and has lots of love and support surrounding her.  I am so proud of her and I know that dad is too.  I am so thankful for my siblings and miss them and their families terribly.  I am homesick for Boise and still have not figured out why we were meant to move north, but I have faith that because we did what we felt was right, we will be blessed.  I am thankful for the amazing time mom & dad were able to spend together over the last 2 months, and rediscover each other.  What a gift.
    The two things I have taken away from this experience so far are, first, to be more compassionate and kind to others. I had no idea what such a tragedy felt like, and I regret not being more compassionate to what others may have been feeling.  I will be more compassionate, kind, less sarcastic, more loving.  The second thing I have learned is to really make the most of my time here.  This has really put my life in perspective. I will focus more inward, on my family, and less outward - on trying to impress people and please people and take on too much.  I want to spend every minute of my life with my sweet family.  I know that there are other responsibilities, but I just want to be with them.  To not waste any precious time with any of them.
     Thanks for all the love and support and kindness.  I can't wait to see my dad again.

4 comments:

Helen said...

SO sweet Cathy, I loved reading it. I agree that if we try and better our lives, and learn positive lessons from this, in a way it sort of keeps him alive...

We love and miss you guys too.
Hurry up and figure out what and why your up there so you guys can come home!! jk....sort of.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

I wish that I knew your Dad. He sounds so amazing! The resemblance to Kimball in that picture is uncanny! I am always here if you need anything!

philbrookd said...

WOW that picture of Kimball and Dad! Those strong inherited Rich genes!
Breath taking!
I am thinking of you and your family! Hold your loved one tight!
Please stay in touch!
love ya,
Dannon

Susz said...

I know I have said this a hundred times--but I am so sorry for your hurt and pain! Even with our faith and knowledge-it is never easy. You can't help but miss them until we get to see them again someday...it was AMAZING to hear the chatter at your dad's service. EVERYONE was talking about what a WONDERFUL man he was/is and how incredible your whole family is-you could tell he was the man that did anything for anyone. I imagine your dad was suprised as he watched/heard the thoughts that were given---he had a humble servants heart. You did an AMAZING job with his life sketch...I could not believe you were strong enough to stand to do it...ofcourse you never cease to amaze me :) Love you girl! Miss you tons.