...it's Orange Week?!
Isn't orange such a wonderful color? It's one of my top 3, if not my very favorite. This week we filled our bellies with an array of sunshine-y foods like clementines, carrots, and sweet potatoes. And, to strictly follow my made-up color week rules, we included three new foods: tangelo, nectarine, and a horned melon (also called a Kiwano melon or African horned cucumber). Yum yum!!
Isn't that melon cool?? The little bumps are actually a little prickly & sharp. I didn't even know what this one would be like inside, but wanted to give it a try anyways. That's what color week is for, right? When I saw this bad boy in the store, I just had to buy it. It's an expensive little bugger ($4)!!! I had to look it up online for instructions on how to eat it and was glad I did.
This is what it looks like inside:
Isn't that melon cool?? The little bumps are actually a little prickly & sharp. I didn't even know what this one would be like inside, but wanted to give it a try anyways. That's what color week is for, right? When I saw this bad boy in the store, I just had to buy it. It's an expensive little bugger ($4)!!! I had to look it up online for instructions on how to eat it and was glad I did.
This is what it looks like inside:

It's really seed-y, and the green fruit inside has a texture like Jello that didn't set up. Isn't it BEAUTIFUL? We each tasted the green flesh raw, which tasted a little like a mild kiwi, and then strained the juice out by pressing the insides through a sieve and blended it up in our strawberry-banana smoothie for breakfast. Yum!!
Here are the reviews:
Sweet Potatoes:
K :) :) :) N :) :) :) S :) :) :)
Tangelo:
K :) :) :) N :) :) :) S :) :) :)
Tangelo:
K :( N :) S :) :) :)
Nectarine:
K :) N :) :) S :) :) :)
Horned Melon:
K :) N :) S :) :)
Sloan has picked our color for next week. Can you guess???
Nope. Not pink. She actually chose BROWN. I wonder how many new forms of chocolate I can find.








1 comment:
:) I'm going to have to try the horned melon.
Post a Comment