Thursday, August 12, 2010

A question of tact.

Yesterday, I found myself at the boys' swim lessons...and left questioning all I know about society.

No, not really (about society, that is), but did experience a large dose of baffle-ment. (is that a word?  It is now).  Here is my story:

The boys have swim lessons at the Kroc Center (kind of similar to a YMCA, but a little fancier and cheaper).  Every day, we arrive about 5 minutes before Kimball's class is to begin.  Usually the seats are all taken, and we stand around for a few minutes while the just-finished swimmers towel off and move on their way.  Yesterday was no different. We patiently waited for a few open seats and grabbed a bench as someone else left.  Shortly after Kimball's lesson began, Noah told me he needed to go potty.  Realizing that it was still very crowded and we might lose our seats if we took our stuff, I strategically laid out our towels across the bench and placed our very large red swimming bag in front of the bench to save our seats, and left the boys' flip flops under the bench.  We went to the bathroom which was just around the corner of the pool and were only gone about 3 minutes, if that.
Upon my return I found....wait for it.....someone SITTING ON MY STUFF.  Not kidding.  I was SHOCKED.  Are you kidding me, people??  A lady and her son sitting on our bench, on our towels, next to our bag.

Here is a diagram I drew of what our stuff looked like on the bench before we left for the restroom.  I think that it acurately represents my belongings as they were:  (don't laugh...my Windows "Paint" skills have deteriorated over time)


Would you sit on this bench?  Holy cow.  Baffled.  So, to give her the benefit of the doubt, I thought maybe she's just resting her tired feet for a moment, and when she sees us coming, she'll surely get up and excuse herself.

NOPE.

Even as I returned to the bench, with what I'm sure had to be obvious disgust on my face, she sat, unmoving.  I thought for SURE when I asked for my towels, that she would embarrassingly apologize and move, realizing her mistake, but she just lifted her cheek slightly just enough for me to pull my towel out from underneath her.  Once we had our towels and bag, we found a few chairs just down a little from the bench and sat.  I couldn't believe what had just happened.  Can you?  What is wrong with people.  It seemed that she had absolutely NO IDEA that she had done anything wrong.  I couldn't believe someone could be so rude. I cannot believe people anymore.  One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is discourtesy for others.  Seriously.

Today was much better...that is until someone (not the same lady) sat on our seats again.  This one wasn't quite so drastic.  Our towels were not sprawled out on the chairs, they were just in front of them.

Unbelieveable.

Thanks for listening.  I hope you enjoyed my diagram.

3 comments:

queenann said...

Wow. MAD paint skills. Really.

And that lady showed an atrocious lack of manners. I was dying when I got to "she just lifted her cheek slightly." I can't even fathom it!

Mark and Kris said...

Your artwork is terrific! I was impressed! Not impressed with a certain rude person. That is too bad. It is a shame that the facility can't help and put out a few more benches or chairs, making all of you a little more comfortable and a little less stressed about leaving your seats.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

What the heck? How did you paint like that with Wordpaint? Very impressed. :) I can't believe people nowadays. When I was trying Zumba in CA (granted the class had 70 people in it) the lady next to me (that came in late) was seriously 2.5 ft from me and kept clobbering me and acted SOOOOO surprised each time. I didn't run into or smack her ONCE because I was CONSCIOUS she was there. She acted like I was invisible and I wasn't because I was the tallest girl and the only white girl in there! LOL! PEOPLE!