Thursday, August 19, 2010

Purplicious

Food should be in color.
I have taken a stand. I've decided that I'm tired of my kids turning their cute little noses up at any food that has color.  I don't understand it.  Kids should LOVE things with lots of colors, right?  Mine don't.  So, I've come up with a scheme to get them to enjoy colorful food.  This week began my experiment of having color weeks.  The kids get to choose a color and every week, we are going to eat as many foods of that color as we can, with the requirement that atleast 3 of these foods have to be NEW (to them).
So....

HAPPY PURPLE WEEK!


Noah got to choose the color this week.  It was fun taking them to the fruit stand to choose purple foods.  We bought black grapes (usually we buy red, so these are technically new), plums, blueberries and eggplant.  We also made purple smoothies.
Another rule of color week: It doesn't count to dye another food that color (that was a suggestion made by Kimball...purple eggs) - it has to be a food that exists in that color all by itself.

The reviews:
Grapes:
K :) :) :)  N :) :) :)  S :) :) :)
Plums:
K :)  N :) :)  S :) :) :)
Blueberries:
(cooked in pancakes)
K :)  N :)  S :) :) :)
Blueberries:
(raw)
K :(  N :(  S :) :) :) (this girl LOVES fruit)
Eggplant:
(eggplant parmesian)
K :)  N :(  S :(

So fun!!  I think we'll enjoy this experiment. Kimball has chosen ORANGE for next week.

YAY FOR COLOR!

4 comments:

queenann said...

i love this idea. I've actually thought of trying something like this with my green-o-phobic kids, but I've been too afraid of utter failure. Good for you for taking a stand!

Anonymous said...

What a grand idea, I love it! Leave it to my creative Cathy to come up with this. I have to make a belated comment about you Edward post.......I love it! That was so funny. Oh, if we were all so lucky to have Orlando play Edward. I pick him. Call me when you finish the books I want to hear what you think (after to catch up on all the ignored house work). :) Love you!

Jana said...

This is such a neat idea!

Karina & John Calderwood said...

So smart!