Monday, March 21, 2011

I can taste it!

Many of you who religiously follow me on Facebook might have noticed that I have been bragging about my running lately.  I've never been a runner.  I haven't had a lot of running experience, with the exception of my high-school track career (if you could call it that). But I am bound and determined to make myself one.  I've been pretty successful so far and have been very proud of myself.  I run 4-5 days each week, ending with a long run each Saturday.  Saturday I did a beefy 9 miles! My longest ever...since last Saturday's run of 7.5...which was also my longest ever.  I get to say that every Saturday which really helps my self-esteem get a boost.

In only 54 days I will be doing a half of one of these:
May 14, 2011, baby!

While my 9 miler was definelty a challenge (especially since it was done on the treamill because of the stupid snow), it made me realize how close I am to my distance goal.  13.1 is only 4.1 more than what I did (for those math challenged).  When I was in the car driving home from the gym, I almost wanted to go back in and do 4 more.  ALMOST.  I'm so close, I can taste it!  All thanks to my amazing running hubby for helping me with my training and encouraging me.  He tells me he's proud of me and I LIKE IT! :) I can't wait until race day!  And I can't wait to keep going after that too.  Hopefully my shins, ankles, calves and feet agree.  They haven't been as thrilled with my accomplishments as I have.  Here I come, Boise!! Get those potatoes ready.  I'll be hungry.

4 comments:

Sara C. said...

You are so awesome!!! I have always wanted to be a runner, too, but can't seem to get there. Maybe I should come to CDA to run with you!

Karina & John Calderwood said...

You are a running inspiration!! ALMOST makes me want to start running....almost! ;)

Susz said...

i am seriously amazed. Not just 9 miles...but on a TREADMILL???? that is truly rock star worthy. i can barely force myself to stay on those things for 20 minutes. With our horribly yucky spring weather combined with my disdain for treadmills...i don't think i will be accomplishing our goal...i will be lucky to hit the 10K line. :D

Jana said...

I can't remember if I told you this on facebook or not, but I am seriously so impressed Cathy! I am likewise trying to be a runner but my goals are more like 'run a mile and a half without wanting to die/giving up halfway'. You're amazing!