Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Never let it die

My family is famous (in my family) for not letting stories go.  EVER.  We can't seem to ever let things die, or for someone to ever get over an embarrassing moment.  Like the time my hubby gently and against his own will slapped my SIL Helen on the bottom. And the time I said "El-swapo" in a Mexican restaurant (and I'm sure subsequently ate food that had been spat in).  Or like the time my brother Bryan ever-so-caringly assembled the perfect hamburger and after enjoying practically the entire thing, realized he forgot to include the patty.  My dad's famous Aflac.  My grandmother throwing a DVD case across the room at my grandfather's head.  My mom's behavior at the family campout in McCall.  Most of these moments can't be explained, and all of them were "you had to be there" times.

I have been reminiscing about these funny times lately.  Most of the not-letting-it-go was fuled by my dad.  But even in his absence we continue the tradition.  I'm sure at Christmastime this past year when we were all gathered that at least half of these infamous stories were brought up.  I've gotten many a laugh (to myself) remembering all these inside jokes.

I'd like to share one of our inside jokes with you now.

To start, I'll explain that my family is also famous for not carrying the most polite or appropriate dinner conversations.  One night (among many) several years ago we were discussing words that we hate.  My dad hated the word REARED.  Several of us hate the word MOIST.  My BIL Steven loathes the words TAMPON.  LOAF was another brought up.  I'm sure several others were shared, when my dear sweet husband, and keep in mind that this is being discussed over dinner, coined the term MOIST TAMPON LOAF.  Everyone died.  When I think of MOIST TAMPON LOAF, I giggle still.  Hilarious.  I miss my dad and his ability to never let things die.  I wanted to share this so I wouldn't forget and so he could hear it (or read it) one more time from beyond this life:

MOIST TAMPON LOAF.

You're welcome, dad. Love you! ;)

What are some words that you hate?

1 comment:

Karina & John Calderwood said...

LOL. THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I hate the word MOIST too!! I use it, but every time I say it, I cringe inside a bit. Too funny! Great post Cathy!