Monday, May 30, 2011

Kid magnet

Since I've been called to Primary president in my ward I've noticed a strange phenomenon.

And before I tell you what it is, I'll explain a little about my beginning in this calling.  During my setting apart, I was blessed that I would REALLY love the kids and know them.  And I really, really have. It's amazing how quickly I was able to learn and retain all of their names.  I was having a really hard time with it before when I was a counselor in the Primary. There are SO many kids in our ward.  But since the setting apart, no problem-o.

So, this strange phenomenon is that I seem to "attract" kids.  Even kids I don't know.  Kids at the park, kids at Kimball's school, even today at Silverwood.  They really seem to WANT to talk to me...and even hug me.  I help make the popcorn at Kimball's school every Thursday morning and it's like I'm famous.  I feel slightly like Scott Calvin in the movie "The Santa Claus" when he is at his son's soccer game and the kids line up to sit on his lap.

And I'm not saying this to brag or make it sound like I think I'm so freaking awesome that kids just flock to me.  I'm just sharing an interesting experience.  It's cool, but really weird.  Not bad weird...just weird.  And with the whole name-remembering thing, it's expanded.  At the school, I can tell you SOOO many names of kids that I hardly know, just because they seem to WANT to tell me.  It's amazing how many kids really NEED someone to make them feel special.  I hope I do that for some.

I might not understand the reason for this phenomenon or these feelings, but I feel incredibly blessed that I get to spend so much of my time with kids from all walks of life.  Sometimes the kids annoy me.  Other times they blow me away with their talents and their words.  And most of the time they really make me thankful for the three little ones of my very own that I get to be with each day.

3 comments:

queenann said...

I love this. What a cool blessing.

Jana said...

Ann and I totally think alike - my first thought was 'I love this'! I have always been impressed with how easily you converse with people - you always seem genuinely interested and attentive - so it makes sense to me that children would pick up on this and be drawn to it.

And thank you for the visual of that scene from the Santa Clause; it cracks me up every time!!

Helen said...

I think you are just and all around people magnet for sure.