Tuesday, January 5, 2010

BUILDING CHARACTER.

Today I helped my boys build some character.  It started out as a "fun" project that Noah & I could do together before Kimball got home from school.  It turned into something else entirely.
I had my boys seperate beans.  That's right.  I had a very large hurricane vase filled (to the brim) with alternating layers of dried beans; black beans, white beans, kidney beans, and split peas.  But, I had other visions for this vase, so I needed to lose the beans.  But instead of just tossing the beans (what if I change my mind again and want my beans back??? I've done that before. This isn't the first time I am getting rid of bean stripes) I decided that it would be a quick thing we could whip out in a snap - 1/2 hour tops.  2 HOURS LATER..... It took just over 2 hours to seperate all the beans.
I feel bad as I look at the picture I took of the boys doing this project and look at the misery in their little faces, and yet I feel it is a right of passage for me as a mom to be able to pass on such horrible, tedious, laborous tasks.  I remember vividly being given jobs that made completely no sense to me at all, and yet I'm sure helped me build character.  So, in a way, I am doing my boys a favor.  They'll thank me later.  You're welcome, guys.





Love, mom.

3 comments:

Helen said...

They probably kind of enjoyed it!

Angie said...

Ha! That reminds me of the time my Mom gave me an old toothbrush and told me I had to clean all the baseboards in the house. I'm sure it was her way of getting me out of her hair for a bit, but I thought she was serious. :) Your boys will at the very least have a funny memory to look back on! :)

The Butlers said...

Yeah, I am sure you are right!! They will thank you later for it! Or perhaps blog about it in years to come about the crazy things mom made them do!! :)