Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Slowly but surely

To all those who are loyally following my epic journey to a home without pink walls, here are a few tidbits I think you'll enjoy.

I finally finished Sloan's room.  Well, actually I finished it about a month and a half ago, but I am now proudly posting it for your viewing pleasure.  I LOVE it!  It is painted in almost exactly the same way we had her room in Boise painted (I loved it that much).  She loves it too (or atleast that's the impression I get from her toddler squeals when she walks into her room.  It's either enjoyment, or gas.).






Pretty cute, huh? :)

And exciting tidbit number two:
I am FINALLY painting...well....everything else.  Including our favorite pink-spongey walls.  They will VERY SOON be a distant fuzzy memory.  Today I painted the upstairs hallway (almost complete - tonight I just have to do the ceiling cutting in and the left side of the stairwell).  I LOVE IT!  I love the color I chose (Behr Ultra "coconut shell - UL140-5, incase you wanted to copy me).  I originally wanted to hire a painter to do this gigantor of a project, but it was, of course, too expensive.  I think it will be a difficult feet to accomplish it all myself, but if I think of it 1 room at a time, instead of painting almost the entire freaking house, it isn't so insurmountable.  It will more than likely take me several weeks to complete, but I am a determined person.  I will keep posting my progress, and I hope you enjoy the fruits of my labors.  You could even come admire it in person; it will be that good!  You can say, when my home is featured in some luxurious and elite home publication, I was there and it IS fabulous! :)



(here is the hall from a couple of different angles.  The lighting makes it hard to see the color well, but you get the idea.  I'm not a professional photographer, geez...I can't be the best at EVERYTHING!)  :)

Oh, and one last bit of advice for anyone taking on a painting project:  I love Behr paint (from Home Depot)...but now I LUUUVVV Behr ultra paint.  It is the one with the paint & primer in one.  It is lots thicker than even the regular Behr (which is quite thick to begin with) and went on incredibly!  I only need to do a quick touch-up 2nd coat and that will be it!  When I went this dark in our living room in Boise (it was a similar dark brown), it took 2 coats of primer, plus 2 or 3 coats of paint to cover.  This is a little more expensive than the regular Behr, but I will end up using less paint this way and will save $$ in the long run.  Yay.  Try it!

8 comments:

Karina & John Calderwood said...

Lookin' good!!! Seriously, that color looks like the color in my master - and in my great room in my last house. I LOVE IT! I can drop Kelsi off at co-op next week if you want some help. Let me know!

Cathy said...

I might take you up on that. Be warned.

Jana said...

Sloan's room is SO cute! And I'm so impressed that you're taking on such a big project - it will look so great when you're done, go Cathy!

Susz said...

So cute---and I LOVE the coconut color...i wish i had just a touch of your talent!

Alli Blue said...

Soooooooo cute and bright! Love the skate board coat hanger!

Mark and Kris said...

LOVE IT! Good work Cathy. I am impressed. Sloan's room is darling. I am loving the views you are giving, and I hope you will take some outside shots sometime as well. CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Cathy strikes again! I loved Sloan's room the first time a lot too so I am glad you kept it like before. I LOVE the green and Bright pink. Brovo! I also love the coconut color walls I think I just might have to copy this sometime in my future home projects. :)

Half a Dozen Buts said...

Love It!!! I have to paint the master at my house. . . want to help when you are done??? I may have to use that coconut color thanks for the info! Love ya!