We're going to label this a mental wellness post (for MY mental wellness; I am going to get some pent up motherly frustrations off my chest).
So, let me start off by saying that I have three of THE MOST amazing children EVER. I really do. I love them so much. They are constantly amazing me with their imaginations and talents.
But.......
you know when your kid seems to be acting really naughty and people tell you "it's a phase"? Well, I am experiencing that phenomenon currently...with all three. They are each going through one of "THOSE" phases and my patience is getting hit with a triple whammy.
Sloan, at 18 months, is going through the BUSY AND GETTING INTO EVERYTHING phase, along with the TOO YOUNG TO REALLY UNDERSTAND WHEN SHE'S DOING SOMETHING WRONG phase. This one, out of the three children's current stages, frustrates me the least. I have experienced this stage before with my boys and, although LONG and tiresome, is dying down slightly. Hallelujah.
Noah, at age 3, is going through the WHINEY/CRYING toddler phase, as well as probably my least favorite, the ARGUING ABOUT EVERYTHING phase. I could tell him this: "Noah, please go and eat 10 Laffy Taffys and then take this $100 and buy whatever toys you want" and I would hear this in response: "I don't want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It doesn't matter what we ask/say/plead, he will argue it. I understand that this is probably another way he is trying to fight for his independence and learn his boundaries, but it is SO maddening. I really need a refresher in Love & Logic. Yelling just seems to egg him on.
Kimball, at age 6, has completely turned off his ears to my voice. He does not listen. EVER. This stage is extremely frustrating because, in his particular case, it has lasted for about 3 years. His began at the very stage Noah is at right now, but it hasn't faded. It has varied slightly in severity, but is not improving. I am also drifting into unknown territory with him. Since he is my oldest, I don't know what to expect. Will this fade, or get worse? I think I know the answer to that, but I'll pretend I don't.
I love my kids, and I HATE that I'm not appreciating them right now. They really are pretty great. I am extremely lucky to be able to look at them and know that they are MY kids. That is quite incredible.
So, here's to motherhood. It's not always pretty, but it's what I signed up for. And for all the difficult stages, tantrums, stains, bruises, runny noses and frustrations of it all, I do get some pretty fantastic job perks in return: kisses, hugs, spontaneous I love you's, kids-getting-along-moments, and those amazing, deep belly, contagious kid-laughs that make it all worth it.








6 comments:
I hear ya. Johnny (2.5) is pretty firmly in the middle of horrid rageful tantrum phase. And I know a little about the not listening phase.
Good luck.
Hallelujah - I'm not the only one who feels this way!!! :) Every mom needs to vent once in a while, don't feel bad! They really are cute though! :)
Feel free to pick up the phone and vent in my ear anytime you want. I may have a little Kelsi venting of my own to share. :)
Look how cute those buggers are! I think every woman feels this way at times...part of being mommy! I never thought about how each kid would be so different...and how much energy it would take to wrestle them with their differences all day...it is definitely exhausting! But what will we do without them? You are a great mom...lucky kids :)
Ha Ha is all I can say
I always say that my six year old is actually 16,in 6 year olds body. Such attitude! He does not listen either. We have all been there or will be there soon. Keep on trucking!
Post a Comment